YOUTH FOLK HIGH SCHOOL - WHAT IS IT?
It is important that you know what kind of place you will be going to. We believe that you will benefit more from your time if you know what we stand for.
THE HISTORY OF THE DANISH FOLK HIGH SCHOOL
Folk high schools are a uniquely Danish tradition, which we are very proud of. Folk high schools were originally for adult men and women who were taught to become good citizens. It was a special school because the personality of the teachers was more important than their vocational skills.
The folk high school was supposed to be a 'school for life' – a place where all social classes could meet. Here, the Learned could learn practical proficiency and those who wanted to belong to the educated classes could get their education. The primary subjects back then were the language and history of the mother country. Beyond that were social studies, world history, literature, and art as well as natural sciences, mathematics, and writing. Unlike other schools, students did not have exams. Today, the subjects are more creative, musical, and humanistic, and includes sports.
At the same time, there was a particular focus on solidarity, which remains one of the core values of high schools. Today, focus includes more personal development as well as community, which you will also experience at EUH.
Download 'The history of EUH' (PDF).
HIGH SCHOOL VALUES FOUNDED ON GRUNDTVIG'S FOLK HIGH SCHOOL
• Democratic teaching characterized by curiosity
• Responsibility within the community
• Life education
• Exchange and dialogue between teacher and student
• Interaction between the students
• Adults and young students meet at an equal level – we hold a holistic view of people regardless of age, looks, race, and religion
• No questions are stupid – only by daring to ask and exposing yourself, do you get answers and become wiser
• Prejudices are eradicated – here, there is room for everyone
• Our students develop in unison with each other – in respect of other ways to view the world
• We want to inspire you to develop personally as well as vocationally
If you have more questions about Danish high schools you might find an answer below among the frequently asked questions about high schools.
You can also download a booklet about folk high schools. You can also let current international students tell you more about what they think a Danish Folk High School is in the video below.